Skip to main content

All The Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr

Started: Monday 20th June 2022

Finished: Saturday 25th June 2022

Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

​In All The Light We Cannot See, we follow Werner and Marie-Laure through their adolescence during the Second World War. I didn’t know what to expect of this book. Through snippets of their lives, we understand what it is to be a teenage in the times of Nazi Germany as Werner spends his time in the Hitler Youth,  and Marie-Laurie in Occupied France.

I didn't know what to expect of this book. I hadn't read any synopsis and all I knew was that it was based within the years of 1939-1945. I'd recently finished The Lilac Girls and and sworn myself off of these kinds of books for while; but ATLWCS is rarely available through the Libby app so when I got a notification that my "hold" was ready, it was a now or never.  

As you can expect from most books set in these times, there is an element of "unexpected hero". I think it's safe to say that due to the atrocities that were discovered in the years following, the resistance that supported the French and British troops were often no different you and me. 

As the housekeeper organises at one point - they must disrupt things as best they could for the Germans. We've seen it most recently through Social Media Reports from Ukraine and the Russian invasion; the moving of signposts is a classic. 

My favourite thing about this book was how Doerr was able to create the tension from Marie-Laure's perspective. She is blind; having lost her sight as a child, she navigates Paris, and her new home of Saint-Malo by the patterns they keep. Doerr beautifully uses all other senses to replicate the images we're so used to having laid out for us. The smells and the sounds primarily. 

For those of you who like to go down a little Rabbit Hole after your books; more information about the Battle of Saint-Malo can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Saint-Malo

All The Light We Cannot See will now join the ranks of The Nightingale, The Alice Network and The Lilac Girls as strong books that capture the terror that would have been felt in those years. Another recommendation would be The Women in The Castle; which offers a perspective from a German civilian, brainwashed by the ideals outlined by Hitler, and the stubbornness that follows. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murder on the Orient Express - Agatha Christie

​Started: Saturday 2nd July 2022 Finished: Saturday 2nd July 2022 Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ On Saturday I travelled up to London to see Beauty and The Beast at the London Palladium and with a four hours on a train, I wanted something I could really get stuck into. I need a book small enough to fit in my bang, fast paced enough to lose myself in and lighthearted enough not to impact my mood and Murder On The Orient Express was perfect. My second delve into the Agatha Christie catalogue, I’ve already labelled her books as “filler” books - perfect for one sitting and clever enough to keep me guessing without the dreaded Book Hangover. Murder On The Orient Express sees the infamous Monsieur Hercule Poirot have an urgent recall to England, cutting his leisure time short. But oddly, the sleeper train is full, a strange and unexplained circumstance given the time of year. Through his years of connections, a temporary cabin is found to be shared with McQueen - the travel companion for Ratchett; and ...

DNF - The Final Revival of Opal & Nev - Dawnie Walton

I've been looking forward to this book so long but I'm just not in the right headspace for it. If you loved the writing style of Daisy Jones & The Six , you'll love this. In a similar vein, The Final Revival of Opal & Nev visits the history of these two performers in the 70s through interviews and accounts of the people that knew them.  Everything about it is fantastic, the imagery, the tone - everything.  I'm about 100 pages in and it's just not grabbing me at the moment. Could be something to do with the excessive weather we're having. So for now, I'm going to put it back on my TBR and try again another time. 

Midnight In Everwood - M.A.Kuzniar

Midnight In Everwood was an impulse purchase based on the cover because LOOK AT IT! It's stunning. Of course, I'd taken a look over the synopsis and the idea of a retelling of the infamous Nutcracker story was definitely too delicious to pass up.  It was relatively new out when I first purchased it but I left it until December before picking it up - purposely because I knew it would give me all of the Christmas feels.  I don't think I've been alone in this - I've noticed a few people post up about reading Midnight in Everwood this month and we've all been saying the same thing... it isn't the easiest book to read.  The first half dragged for me, it was relatively slow paced at first and had I not had the temptation of The Nutcracker retelling in the back of my mind, I probably would have DNF'd it.  But I persevered and the second half of the book really ramped up. I think it took about 2/3 days to get to the second half but once I was there, I couldn...