Skip to main content

Velvet Was The Night - Sylvia Moreno-Garcia

Started: Sunday 3rd July 2022

Finished: Monday 4th July 2022

Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️


I definitely judged this book by it’s cover. The image of this book absolutely drew me in the moment I saw it; I didn’t care what it was about, I had to read it. And I was not disappointed.


Velvet Was The Night is set in Mexico in the early 1970s and follows Maite and Elvis whilst they unbeknowingly search for the same girl amongst political unrest and activism.


I know very little about the culture that this book centres around but this gave me an insight which has definitely left me wanting to know more. I have Mexican Gothic on my TBR so that is likely to feature soon. 


It was a fast based book with plenty of tension and a bit of gore thrown in but not so much that I had to put it down at any stage. 


My only criticism is that if you don't know much about the era and unrest that the books is set around, you won't necessarily know much more by the end of it. I personally like to read historical fiction to gain some form of knowledge and education but this one didn't quite fill in the gaps for me. 


But the story was great and rounded off very nicely. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murder on the Orient Express - Agatha Christie

​Started: Saturday 2nd July 2022 Finished: Saturday 2nd July 2022 Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ On Saturday I travelled up to London to see Beauty and The Beast at the London Palladium and with a four hours on a train, I wanted something I could really get stuck into. I need a book small enough to fit in my bang, fast paced enough to lose myself in and lighthearted enough not to impact my mood and Murder On The Orient Express was perfect. My second delve into the Agatha Christie catalogue, I’ve already labelled her books as “filler” books - perfect for one sitting and clever enough to keep me guessing without the dreaded Book Hangover. Murder On The Orient Express sees the infamous Monsieur Hercule Poirot have an urgent recall to England, cutting his leisure time short. But oddly, the sleeper train is full, a strange and unexplained circumstance given the time of year. Through his years of connections, a temporary cabin is found to be shared with McQueen - the travel companion for Ratchett; and ...

DNF - The Final Revival of Opal & Nev - Dawnie Walton

I've been looking forward to this book so long but I'm just not in the right headspace for it. If you loved the writing style of Daisy Jones & The Six , you'll love this. In a similar vein, The Final Revival of Opal & Nev visits the history of these two performers in the 70s through interviews and accounts of the people that knew them.  Everything about it is fantastic, the imagery, the tone - everything.  I'm about 100 pages in and it's just not grabbing me at the moment. Could be something to do with the excessive weather we're having. So for now, I'm going to put it back on my TBR and try again another time. 

Midnight In Everwood - M.A.Kuzniar

Midnight In Everwood was an impulse purchase based on the cover because LOOK AT IT! It's stunning. Of course, I'd taken a look over the synopsis and the idea of a retelling of the infamous Nutcracker story was definitely too delicious to pass up.  It was relatively new out when I first purchased it but I left it until December before picking it up - purposely because I knew it would give me all of the Christmas feels.  I don't think I've been alone in this - I've noticed a few people post up about reading Midnight in Everwood this month and we've all been saying the same thing... it isn't the easiest book to read.  The first half dragged for me, it was relatively slow paced at first and had I not had the temptation of The Nutcracker retelling in the back of my mind, I probably would have DNF'd it.  But I persevered and the second half of the book really ramped up. I think it took about 2/3 days to get to the second half but once I was there, I couldn...