Skip to main content

January 2023 Reading Round Up!


I think I'm going to have to review my reading goal for 2023...

I worked out that 5 books a month was a pretty realistic target but I hit that by the 8th January!! I'm going to see how it goes. 

I read some fantastic books this month and I definitely peaked early with The Priory of the Orange Tree. 

I was actually convinced through most of the month that I wasn't going to get any better than The Priory but I was pleasantly surprised to see that Project Hail Mary and The Betrayals were also 5* reads for me! The Priory still tops the list because it was so immersive but they were each so good into their own unique genres. 

Most of the reviews are available already.... if they're not live yet - check back later!

THE PRIORY OF THE ORANGE TREE - Samantha Shannon

Read the full review HERE


THE SHORT-TERM RENTAL PLAYBOOK - Andy Wen

Read the full review HERE


THE SHADOWS BETWEEN US - Tricia Levenseller

Read the full review HERE


THE WALLED GARDEN - Sarah Hardy

Read the full review HERE


THE SITUATIONSHIP - Taylor Dior Rumble

Read the full review HERE


THE BEST DAYS OF OUR LIVES - Lucy Diamond

Read the full review HERE


ONE NIGHT IN HARTSWOOD - Emma Denny

Read the full review HERE



ONCE UPON A BROKEN HEART - Stephanie Garber

Read the full review HERE



THE BALLAD OF NEVER AFTER - Stephanie Garber

Read the full review HERE



LOVE ON THE BRAIN - Ali Hazelwood

Read the full review HERE



THE SANATORIUM - Sarah Pearse

Read the full review HERE



PROJECT HAIL MARY - Andy Weir

Read the full review HERE



THE THORNS REMAIN - JJA Harwood

Read the full review HERE



THE FOXGLOVE KING - Hannah F Whitten

Read the full review HERE



THE MAD WOMENS BALL - Victoria Mas

Read the full review HERE



THE BETRAYALS - Bridget Collins

Read the full review HERE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murder on the Orient Express - Agatha Christie

​Started: Saturday 2nd July 2022 Finished: Saturday 2nd July 2022 Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ On Saturday I travelled up to London to see Beauty and The Beast at the London Palladium and with a four hours on a train, I wanted something I could really get stuck into. I need a book small enough to fit in my bang, fast paced enough to lose myself in and lighthearted enough not to impact my mood and Murder On The Orient Express was perfect. My second delve into the Agatha Christie catalogue, I’ve already labelled her books as “filler” books - perfect for one sitting and clever enough to keep me guessing without the dreaded Book Hangover. Murder On The Orient Express sees the infamous Monsieur Hercule Poirot have an urgent recall to England, cutting his leisure time short. But oddly, the sleeper train is full, a strange and unexplained circumstance given the time of year. Through his years of connections, a temporary cabin is found to be shared with McQueen - the travel companion for Ratchett; and ...

DNF - The Final Revival of Opal & Nev - Dawnie Walton

I've been looking forward to this book so long but I'm just not in the right headspace for it. If you loved the writing style of Daisy Jones & The Six , you'll love this. In a similar vein, The Final Revival of Opal & Nev visits the history of these two performers in the 70s through interviews and accounts of the people that knew them.  Everything about it is fantastic, the imagery, the tone - everything.  I'm about 100 pages in and it's just not grabbing me at the moment. Could be something to do with the excessive weather we're having. So for now, I'm going to put it back on my TBR and try again another time. 

Midnight In Everwood - M.A.Kuzniar

Midnight In Everwood was an impulse purchase based on the cover because LOOK AT IT! It's stunning. Of course, I'd taken a look over the synopsis and the idea of a retelling of the infamous Nutcracker story was definitely too delicious to pass up.  It was relatively new out when I first purchased it but I left it until December before picking it up - purposely because I knew it would give me all of the Christmas feels.  I don't think I've been alone in this - I've noticed a few people post up about reading Midnight in Everwood this month and we've all been saying the same thing... it isn't the easiest book to read.  The first half dragged for me, it was relatively slow paced at first and had I not had the temptation of The Nutcracker retelling in the back of my mind, I probably would have DNF'd it.  But I persevered and the second half of the book really ramped up. I think it took about 2/3 days to get to the second half but once I was there, I couldn...