Skip to main content

Black Thorn - Sarah Hilary

It was so refreshing to read a thriller that didn't follow the standard Whodunnit format!

Whilst Black Thorn has the staple elements that every murder mystery needs, the premise of the book - a shiny new housing estate that's evacuated created plenty of twists and turns to keep the reader guessing as to who the true culprit was. 

It was an easy to read book with a diverse range of characters that allowed the author to touch on a few societal issues and it was all handled extremely tactfully. 

A brilliant read that I'm sure will be a success.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens

  It’s a story we all know and love. I think you’d be hard pushed to find anyone who doesn’t know the story of Ebeneezer Scrooge and the ghosts of past, present and future, yet I would bet that not many appreciate the true story. The main adaptations I know of, consist of The Muppets Christmas Carol and most recently - Spirited, the 2022 release with Ryan Reynolds and Will Farrell (a fun new take on the classic) so my comparisons between the book and films will be quite basic. The first thing I’ll say is that A Christmas Carol is a tiny 80 page read. I got through it in one evening (90 mins) in fact and would be a perfect addition to someone’s end of her reading goal. Secondly, the book does now take long to get into it. I can see why it’s heralded as a classic - easy to read and a basic but resonating moral, this is great for a reader of any age. The fact that it jumps straight in so soon will keep younger readers hooked.  The original text is slightly darker that is expected...

DNF - The Final Revival of Opal & Nev - Dawnie Walton

I've been looking forward to this book so long but I'm just not in the right headspace for it. If you loved the writing style of Daisy Jones & The Six , you'll love this. In a similar vein, The Final Revival of Opal & Nev visits the history of these two performers in the 70s through interviews and accounts of the people that knew them.  Everything about it is fantastic, the imagery, the tone - everything.  I'm about 100 pages in and it's just not grabbing me at the moment. Could be something to do with the excessive weather we're having. So for now, I'm going to put it back on my TBR and try again another time. 

Ready Player Two - Ernest Cline

  After been sat on my bookshelf for nearly 2 years, Ready Player Two was one of my chosen reads for February. The first one was fantastic and I remember being so immersed in the whole thing, even to the point where I considered picking up some old style arcade games to see what all the fuss was about.  But where Ready Player One was a love letter to the 80s and retro computer games... Ready Player Two may as well have been a ransom note.  I enjoyed being back in OASIS with the High Five and Wade/Parzival's decline after winning the hunt definitely came across as realistic. Even the plot of the sequel was believable for me and felt like it was suited for the story.  But what made the first book such an experience was the same as what ruined it in the second; the pop culture references.  It's been a while since I read the first instalment but I remember... getting it. Despite not being a computer game fan myself, I could follow the references, they were generic o...