Skip to main content

Holiday Read - Taylor Cole

 


I was given an advanced copy of Holiday Read by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.. so here goes. 

I didn't love it, but I also didn't hate it. 

The challenge with romance is that it's a very common and intensely saturated genre. Writers have to stand out to make them feel different to all the others. And whilst I can see what Cole tried to do - it rarely missed the mark. 

I made the mistake of reading reviews whilst I was reading the book. I got about a third of the way in and, getting quite frustrated with the story in a "Surely not?" kind of way - I took a look at the reviews (something I NEVER normally do). The guilt absolutely took me over so I finished it instead of DNF'ing it. 

And I'm glad I did because thankfully, it set itself back on a relatively good course. 

In an attempt to set themselves out from other romance writers - there were some seriously unnecessary facts throughout the dialogue which turned elements into a lesson. There were social issues highlighted and discussed purely for the sake of featuring them in the story/book. 

There were one or two subplots that were completely unnecessary - trying to tie up the ends just left the final chapters rushed and with no depth or value. 

The desire to highlight and include so much of Cornwalls rich and beautiful scenery and history was clear, but it fell short of the mark because it just didn't DETAIL it all. It was spread too thin. 

The main romance story - awesome, I love it. The motivating plot behind it, worked. The doubt I felt when I thought it was going to go one way was well done and I'm glad it DIDN'T go there. And had the the writer chosen to strengthen instead of adding in the above mentioned snippets - it probably would have ended up being a relatively decent read. 

And I have to say it - the title is misleading. I'm keen to see what the others will say on release. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murder on the Orient Express - Agatha Christie

​Started: Saturday 2nd July 2022 Finished: Saturday 2nd July 2022 Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ On Saturday I travelled up to London to see Beauty and The Beast at the London Palladium and with a four hours on a train, I wanted something I could really get stuck into. I need a book small enough to fit in my bang, fast paced enough to lose myself in and lighthearted enough not to impact my mood and Murder On The Orient Express was perfect. My second delve into the Agatha Christie catalogue, I’ve already labelled her books as “filler” books - perfect for one sitting and clever enough to keep me guessing without the dreaded Book Hangover. Murder On The Orient Express sees the infamous Monsieur Hercule Poirot have an urgent recall to England, cutting his leisure time short. But oddly, the sleeper train is full, a strange and unexplained circumstance given the time of year. Through his years of connections, a temporary cabin is found to be shared with McQueen - the travel companion for Ratchett; and ...

DNF - The Final Revival of Opal & Nev - Dawnie Walton

I've been looking forward to this book so long but I'm just not in the right headspace for it. If you loved the writing style of Daisy Jones & The Six , you'll love this. In a similar vein, The Final Revival of Opal & Nev visits the history of these two performers in the 70s through interviews and accounts of the people that knew them.  Everything about it is fantastic, the imagery, the tone - everything.  I'm about 100 pages in and it's just not grabbing me at the moment. Could be something to do with the excessive weather we're having. So for now, I'm going to put it back on my TBR and try again another time. 

Midnight In Everwood - M.A.Kuzniar

Midnight In Everwood was an impulse purchase based on the cover because LOOK AT IT! It's stunning. Of course, I'd taken a look over the synopsis and the idea of a retelling of the infamous Nutcracker story was definitely too delicious to pass up.  It was relatively new out when I first purchased it but I left it until December before picking it up - purposely because I knew it would give me all of the Christmas feels.  I don't think I've been alone in this - I've noticed a few people post up about reading Midnight in Everwood this month and we've all been saying the same thing... it isn't the easiest book to read.  The first half dragged for me, it was relatively slow paced at first and had I not had the temptation of The Nutcracker retelling in the back of my mind, I probably would have DNF'd it.  But I persevered and the second half of the book really ramped up. I think it took about 2/3 days to get to the second half but once I was there, I couldn...