Skip to main content

Hook, Line and Sinker - Tessa Bailey

 


Like many, I have been suckered into the world of BookTok recently and as a result of experiencing the ACOTAR series, I've developed a taste for books with a bit of.... spice.


Tessa Bailey seems to be one of the more "mainstream" authors delving into the detailed romance style so this and It Happened One Summer were going to be my starting points. Unfortunately, of the two-book series, only the second was available to buy in my local Waterstones but I didn't let that stop me - I dived right in. 


It didn't disappoint. There were hints of the previous book in the plot but for me, enough information was given that this one works well as a standalone. 


LA based Hannah is heading back to Westport. Not only does she get to see her sister Piper after months apart, but also the gorgeous Fox who she has found herself a friendship with after 7 months. But through texting consistently, they've become good friends through sharing their love of music. 


The only problem is, friendship is the most it can ever be. Fox is the guy your mum warns you about and Hannah's sister will not have her little sisters heart broken. 


But with Fox and Hannah living in close quarters, will they be able to keep it as "just friends?'


I loved all of the characters in this story and I can't wait to read the first book, to learn more about Piper and brooding Brendan. Fox's story, whilst feels a bit tongue in cheek sometimes - is actually quite believable. And Hannah's initial shy demeanour makes way subtly and realistically into the strong female lead she always wanted to be. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murder on the Orient Express - Agatha Christie

​Started: Saturday 2nd July 2022 Finished: Saturday 2nd July 2022 Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ On Saturday I travelled up to London to see Beauty and The Beast at the London Palladium and with a four hours on a train, I wanted something I could really get stuck into. I need a book small enough to fit in my bang, fast paced enough to lose myself in and lighthearted enough not to impact my mood and Murder On The Orient Express was perfect. My second delve into the Agatha Christie catalogue, I’ve already labelled her books as “filler” books - perfect for one sitting and clever enough to keep me guessing without the dreaded Book Hangover. Murder On The Orient Express sees the infamous Monsieur Hercule Poirot have an urgent recall to England, cutting his leisure time short. But oddly, the sleeper train is full, a strange and unexplained circumstance given the time of year. Through his years of connections, a temporary cabin is found to be shared with McQueen - the travel companion for Ratchett; and ...

DNF - The Final Revival of Opal & Nev - Dawnie Walton

I've been looking forward to this book so long but I'm just not in the right headspace for it. If you loved the writing style of Daisy Jones & The Six , you'll love this. In a similar vein, The Final Revival of Opal & Nev visits the history of these two performers in the 70s through interviews and accounts of the people that knew them.  Everything about it is fantastic, the imagery, the tone - everything.  I'm about 100 pages in and it's just not grabbing me at the moment. Could be something to do with the excessive weather we're having. So for now, I'm going to put it back on my TBR and try again another time. 

Midnight In Everwood - M.A.Kuzniar

Midnight In Everwood was an impulse purchase based on the cover because LOOK AT IT! It's stunning. Of course, I'd taken a look over the synopsis and the idea of a retelling of the infamous Nutcracker story was definitely too delicious to pass up.  It was relatively new out when I first purchased it but I left it until December before picking it up - purposely because I knew it would give me all of the Christmas feels.  I don't think I've been alone in this - I've noticed a few people post up about reading Midnight in Everwood this month and we've all been saying the same thing... it isn't the easiest book to read.  The first half dragged for me, it was relatively slow paced at first and had I not had the temptation of The Nutcracker retelling in the back of my mind, I probably would have DNF'd it.  But I persevered and the second half of the book really ramped up. I think it took about 2/3 days to get to the second half but once I was there, I couldn...