Skip to main content

My Top Romance Reads for Valentines

In terms of go-to reads, romance has always been top of my list. There's something about the cosiness of a traditional love story that warms my (cold) heart and I hope I never get disillusioned with it. 

Has it given me unrealistic expectations of men? Probably. 

Have I fallen in love with numerous fictional men over the years? Definitely. 

Do I regret my decisions? Absolutely not. 

So here is a list of my favourite romance books and authors to get you in the mood for love this valentines!


Jenny Colgan

Jenny has been a constant in my life since I was in my mid teens. After getting a free copy of Looking For Andrew McArthy with a copy of a Cosmo many many years ago, I have since awaited pretty much every release Jenny Colgan has had and there's something about her writing that just makes me feel like I'm catching up with an old friend. With many books in her back-catalogue, Jenny has perfected the -"move to a small town, start again, that grumpy man is kind of handsome" format. 

Read my review of Sunrise by the Sea and Christmas at the Island Hotel


The Infernal Devices series - Cassandra Clare

This may not be a romance book by definition but the love story in this fantasy series will move me to tears everytime. A firm favourite and holder of the "Annual Re-Read" accolade, the story of Tessa, Will and Jem is set in Victorian London. It's part of the Shadowhunter world and as well as demons and warlocks, this series has a serious Steampunk feel to it too. The amazing Magnus also makes an appearance. 


They Both Die At The End - Adam Silvera

Again, not a classic romance book but this is definitely one that has stuck with me since I read it last year. I had no doubt that this book was going to break me when I first picked it up but I had no idea how much. If you've missed the hype so far, take this as your sign to read it. Mateo and Rufus are beautiful characters, and their story is definitely one of my favourites. 


Ali Hazelwood

A newly discovered writer for me but Ali Hazelwoods books have so far been absolutely brilliant. Working with the classic tropes (Enemies to lovers, Forced Proximity), Ali adds a new twist in that the books are based within the STEM community/industry. Not only do you get a love story, but also - a science lesson. Warning - these books aren't necessarily cosy but they are SPICY. If you like your love scenes spelled out for you, then put your faith in Ali. You won't regret it.  

Read my review of The Love Hypothesis and Love on the Brain


One Day - David Nicholls

After meeting in university, Emma and Dexter go their separate ways and we meet them throughout the years, on the same date and get a snapshot of their lives and see how they've played about in each others consciousness. This story hit a few notes for me and even though it's one of my favourite books, I don't think I could ever read it again. I did however watch the film and... well I probably won't do that again either. 

Read my review of One Day



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murder on the Orient Express - Agatha Christie

​Started: Saturday 2nd July 2022 Finished: Saturday 2nd July 2022 Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ On Saturday I travelled up to London to see Beauty and The Beast at the London Palladium and with a four hours on a train, I wanted something I could really get stuck into. I need a book small enough to fit in my bang, fast paced enough to lose myself in and lighthearted enough not to impact my mood and Murder On The Orient Express was perfect. My second delve into the Agatha Christie catalogue, I’ve already labelled her books as “filler” books - perfect for one sitting and clever enough to keep me guessing without the dreaded Book Hangover. Murder On The Orient Express sees the infamous Monsieur Hercule Poirot have an urgent recall to England, cutting his leisure time short. But oddly, the sleeper train is full, a strange and unexplained circumstance given the time of year. Through his years of connections, a temporary cabin is found to be shared with McQueen - the travel companion for Ratchett; and ...

DNF - The Final Revival of Opal & Nev - Dawnie Walton

I've been looking forward to this book so long but I'm just not in the right headspace for it. If you loved the writing style of Daisy Jones & The Six , you'll love this. In a similar vein, The Final Revival of Opal & Nev visits the history of these two performers in the 70s through interviews and accounts of the people that knew them.  Everything about it is fantastic, the imagery, the tone - everything.  I'm about 100 pages in and it's just not grabbing me at the moment. Could be something to do with the excessive weather we're having. So for now, I'm going to put it back on my TBR and try again another time. 

Midnight In Everwood - M.A.Kuzniar

Midnight In Everwood was an impulse purchase based on the cover because LOOK AT IT! It's stunning. Of course, I'd taken a look over the synopsis and the idea of a retelling of the infamous Nutcracker story was definitely too delicious to pass up.  It was relatively new out when I first purchased it but I left it until December before picking it up - purposely because I knew it would give me all of the Christmas feels.  I don't think I've been alone in this - I've noticed a few people post up about reading Midnight in Everwood this month and we've all been saying the same thing... it isn't the easiest book to read.  The first half dragged for me, it was relatively slow paced at first and had I not had the temptation of The Nutcracker retelling in the back of my mind, I probably would have DNF'd it.  But I persevered and the second half of the book really ramped up. I think it took about 2/3 days to get to the second half but once I was there, I couldn...