Skip to main content

The Summer Skies - Jenny Colgan


I'm not going to hark on about my love for Jenny Colgan because if you've paid any attention to my previous reviews - you'll know that I ADORE her. So when I saw that her next release was available to review on NetGalley I was crossing all of my fingers in the hope that I'd be approved... And I was!

It was strange but lovely to be reading a stand alone novel of Jenny's after following the lives of those on Mure and Kirrinfief for so long but the story of Morag and her family in the highest reaches of Scotland still felt like home to me. 

Following in the footsteps of my Father and Grandad, Morag is a pilot. But she long ago decided that the little runner plane that was used by locals to island hop wasn't enough for her. After an incident that's left her more than a little bit shaken, she's struggling to get back in the cockpit but thanks to the safe and dependable Hayden, things are looking up for her. But as her Grandad comes down ill with the flu, she's called back to her home town to navigate their plane, Dolly, across the islands. When storm brings the plane to an emergency landing on one of the most remote islands, Morag becomes an unexpected visitor for Gregor - a Glaswegian ornithologist until the weather steadies and she can fix her plane. 

This was a delightful story of finding your way and facing your demons. Another gem from Jenny and it was lovely to find myself back in the Scottish Highlands. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murder on the Orient Express - Agatha Christie

​Started: Saturday 2nd July 2022 Finished: Saturday 2nd July 2022 Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ On Saturday I travelled up to London to see Beauty and The Beast at the London Palladium and with a four hours on a train, I wanted something I could really get stuck into. I need a book small enough to fit in my bang, fast paced enough to lose myself in and lighthearted enough not to impact my mood and Murder On The Orient Express was perfect. My second delve into the Agatha Christie catalogue, I’ve already labelled her books as “filler” books - perfect for one sitting and clever enough to keep me guessing without the dreaded Book Hangover. Murder On The Orient Express sees the infamous Monsieur Hercule Poirot have an urgent recall to England, cutting his leisure time short. But oddly, the sleeper train is full, a strange and unexplained circumstance given the time of year. Through his years of connections, a temporary cabin is found to be shared with McQueen - the travel companion for Ratchett; and ...

DNF - The Final Revival of Opal & Nev - Dawnie Walton

I've been looking forward to this book so long but I'm just not in the right headspace for it. If you loved the writing style of Daisy Jones & The Six , you'll love this. In a similar vein, The Final Revival of Opal & Nev visits the history of these two performers in the 70s through interviews and accounts of the people that knew them.  Everything about it is fantastic, the imagery, the tone - everything.  I'm about 100 pages in and it's just not grabbing me at the moment. Could be something to do with the excessive weather we're having. So for now, I'm going to put it back on my TBR and try again another time. 

Midnight In Everwood - M.A.Kuzniar

Midnight In Everwood was an impulse purchase based on the cover because LOOK AT IT! It's stunning. Of course, I'd taken a look over the synopsis and the idea of a retelling of the infamous Nutcracker story was definitely too delicious to pass up.  It was relatively new out when I first purchased it but I left it until December before picking it up - purposely because I knew it would give me all of the Christmas feels.  I don't think I've been alone in this - I've noticed a few people post up about reading Midnight in Everwood this month and we've all been saying the same thing... it isn't the easiest book to read.  The first half dragged for me, it was relatively slow paced at first and had I not had the temptation of The Nutcracker retelling in the back of my mind, I probably would have DNF'd it.  But I persevered and the second half of the book really ramped up. I think it took about 2/3 days to get to the second half but once I was there, I couldn...