Skip to main content

Talking At Night - Claire Daverley


Rosie meets Will in sixth-form. He's tutoring her twin brother and a late night conversation around a bonfire begins a complex and deep friendship between the two opposites. Will is your stereotypical bad boy and Rosie is wholly focussed on her studies. 

But in their final summer before they go their separate ways, a horrific incident leaves them emotionally bound to each other. Over the years, they drift in and out of each others lives and both deal with what happened in their own ways. 

The premise of this book is almost cliche... but the execution is going to make this book a classic in its own right. 

At first, I struggled with how it was written - the dialogue was basic and written in an untraditional way but I feel like this only added to the simplicity of the story in it's early pages. By the mid-point of the story, it was no longer a problem. 

The characters are beautifully flawed, selfish and stubborn. The peaks and troughs are well thought out at there is sensitivity throughout. 

I'd love to see this recognised with immediate success, but I equally feel this could be a book that grows steady in popularity. I would love to see Rosie and Will bought to the big screen to share their story. A definite must-read for fans of One Day!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murder on the Orient Express - Agatha Christie

​Started: Saturday 2nd July 2022 Finished: Saturday 2nd July 2022 Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ On Saturday I travelled up to London to see Beauty and The Beast at the London Palladium and with a four hours on a train, I wanted something I could really get stuck into. I need a book small enough to fit in my bang, fast paced enough to lose myself in and lighthearted enough not to impact my mood and Murder On The Orient Express was perfect. My second delve into the Agatha Christie catalogue, I’ve already labelled her books as “filler” books - perfect for one sitting and clever enough to keep me guessing without the dreaded Book Hangover. Murder On The Orient Express sees the infamous Monsieur Hercule Poirot have an urgent recall to England, cutting his leisure time short. But oddly, the sleeper train is full, a strange and unexplained circumstance given the time of year. Through his years of connections, a temporary cabin is found to be shared with McQueen - the travel companion for Ratchett; and ...

DNF - The Final Revival of Opal & Nev - Dawnie Walton

I've been looking forward to this book so long but I'm just not in the right headspace for it. If you loved the writing style of Daisy Jones & The Six , you'll love this. In a similar vein, The Final Revival of Opal & Nev visits the history of these two performers in the 70s through interviews and accounts of the people that knew them.  Everything about it is fantastic, the imagery, the tone - everything.  I'm about 100 pages in and it's just not grabbing me at the moment. Could be something to do with the excessive weather we're having. So for now, I'm going to put it back on my TBR and try again another time. 

Midnight In Everwood - M.A.Kuzniar

Midnight In Everwood was an impulse purchase based on the cover because LOOK AT IT! It's stunning. Of course, I'd taken a look over the synopsis and the idea of a retelling of the infamous Nutcracker story was definitely too delicious to pass up.  It was relatively new out when I first purchased it but I left it until December before picking it up - purposely because I knew it would give me all of the Christmas feels.  I don't think I've been alone in this - I've noticed a few people post up about reading Midnight in Everwood this month and we've all been saying the same thing... it isn't the easiest book to read.  The first half dragged for me, it was relatively slow paced at first and had I not had the temptation of The Nutcracker retelling in the back of my mind, I probably would have DNF'd it.  But I persevered and the second half of the book really ramped up. I think it took about 2/3 days to get to the second half but once I was there, I couldn...