Skip to main content

Billy Summers - Stephen King

 


Billy Summers has been sat on my bookshelf since last Christmas and whilst I knew I was going to love it - I'd been putting it off as I didn't think it was going to fall into my preferred King genre. 


Let me explain. I've read a few King novels (only about 10 or so of the his back catalogue) and have noticed that whilst his incredible writing is of course prevalent throughout - the main plot styles vary. You've got your Supernatural (Pet Semetary, Carrie), your End of Civilisation style (Sleeping Beauties, The Stand), your Suspense Thrillers (Misery, 11.22.63) and your horror (IT - though I've never read this one).


Billy Summers is about a hit man - but he only takes jobs that go after the Bad men. Forgive me Feminists for I will sin with this next statement - the description screamed Bloke Book to me. 


That being said - I am committed to working my way through all of his books so, as I've hit my reading goal I can afford to risk a couple of DNF's so decided to go for it. 


I stand by that this is a Bloke Book, but I enjoyed it alot. It took me a while to get into it but I think that was because I needed to get used to reading his style of writing again. After working my way through a lot of romances and fantasy this year - Kings direct and quick-fire style took some getting used to but once I was in - HOOKED!


The story - by all accounts, is believable. Stephen Kings personal anti-Trump views came through clearly without being preachy and there was (as always) nods to other stories in the universe (The Overlook Hotel played a specific role towards the end). 


If you're more of a thriller reader - I'd definitely give this a go. Don't be put off by the fact that King is typically a Horror writer.


Also - check the TW for this book. He handles these plot lines masterfully in my opinion however, check them out before you dive in. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murder on the Orient Express - Agatha Christie

​Started: Saturday 2nd July 2022 Finished: Saturday 2nd July 2022 Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ On Saturday I travelled up to London to see Beauty and The Beast at the London Palladium and with a four hours on a train, I wanted something I could really get stuck into. I need a book small enough to fit in my bang, fast paced enough to lose myself in and lighthearted enough not to impact my mood and Murder On The Orient Express was perfect. My second delve into the Agatha Christie catalogue, I’ve already labelled her books as “filler” books - perfect for one sitting and clever enough to keep me guessing without the dreaded Book Hangover. Murder On The Orient Express sees the infamous Monsieur Hercule Poirot have an urgent recall to England, cutting his leisure time short. But oddly, the sleeper train is full, a strange and unexplained circumstance given the time of year. Through his years of connections, a temporary cabin is found to be shared with McQueen - the travel companion for Ratchett; and ...

DNF - The Final Revival of Opal & Nev - Dawnie Walton

I've been looking forward to this book so long but I'm just not in the right headspace for it. If you loved the writing style of Daisy Jones & The Six , you'll love this. In a similar vein, The Final Revival of Opal & Nev visits the history of these two performers in the 70s through interviews and accounts of the people that knew them.  Everything about it is fantastic, the imagery, the tone - everything.  I'm about 100 pages in and it's just not grabbing me at the moment. Could be something to do with the excessive weather we're having. So for now, I'm going to put it back on my TBR and try again another time. 

Midnight In Everwood - M.A.Kuzniar

Midnight In Everwood was an impulse purchase based on the cover because LOOK AT IT! It's stunning. Of course, I'd taken a look over the synopsis and the idea of a retelling of the infamous Nutcracker story was definitely too delicious to pass up.  It was relatively new out when I first purchased it but I left it until December before picking it up - purposely because I knew it would give me all of the Christmas feels.  I don't think I've been alone in this - I've noticed a few people post up about reading Midnight in Everwood this month and we've all been saying the same thing... it isn't the easiest book to read.  The first half dragged for me, it was relatively slow paced at first and had I not had the temptation of The Nutcracker retelling in the back of my mind, I probably would have DNF'd it.  But I persevered and the second half of the book really ramped up. I think it took about 2/3 days to get to the second half but once I was there, I couldn...