Skip to main content

Lady MacBethad - Isabelle Schuler

 



When I was younger, the only Shakespeare play I remember enjoying was MacBeth - The Scottish Play. I can't even remember why, I just know that I enjoyed it and if anyone ever asked me what my favourite was - this would be my answer. 

So, as is typical of subjects that pique your interest as a child, MacBeth has long since been one of those stories that I've veered towards whenever it's come about. 

So that is how I found myself with an ARC copy of Lady Macbethad by Isabelle Schuler. I will be completely transparent and say that this sat on my list for a little while - about 4-5 weeks. Normally, I've been diving straight into my ARCs but I held back slightly on this one. I wasn't sure I was ready for a story of complex historic language that would require learning new words. 

But I needn't have worried. 

If you've seen the synopsis for this book, you'll know that this is focussed on the life of Lady MacBeth, and the events that lead to the infamous Scottish Play. And from my memory of the original text, Schuler did a fantastic job of bringing the motivations and ambition of our main character to the forefont. 

Gruoch is everything you'd want a strong female character to be - ambitious, focussed and fair. Her fierce protectiveness of those she cares about and loves is clear, whilst exploring the complexities of caring for those that perhaps doubt her or disagree. 

I love this book so much and I will definitely be purchasing a physical copy when it's released in March this year. 

And I really want Schuler to write an updated version of the play we know and love.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murder on the Orient Express - Agatha Christie

​Started: Saturday 2nd July 2022 Finished: Saturday 2nd July 2022 Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ On Saturday I travelled up to London to see Beauty and The Beast at the London Palladium and with a four hours on a train, I wanted something I could really get stuck into. I need a book small enough to fit in my bang, fast paced enough to lose myself in and lighthearted enough not to impact my mood and Murder On The Orient Express was perfect. My second delve into the Agatha Christie catalogue, I’ve already labelled her books as “filler” books - perfect for one sitting and clever enough to keep me guessing without the dreaded Book Hangover. Murder On The Orient Express sees the infamous Monsieur Hercule Poirot have an urgent recall to England, cutting his leisure time short. But oddly, the sleeper train is full, a strange and unexplained circumstance given the time of year. Through his years of connections, a temporary cabin is found to be shared with McQueen - the travel companion for Ratchett; and ...

DNF - The Final Revival of Opal & Nev - Dawnie Walton

I've been looking forward to this book so long but I'm just not in the right headspace for it. If you loved the writing style of Daisy Jones & The Six , you'll love this. In a similar vein, The Final Revival of Opal & Nev visits the history of these two performers in the 70s through interviews and accounts of the people that knew them.  Everything about it is fantastic, the imagery, the tone - everything.  I'm about 100 pages in and it's just not grabbing me at the moment. Could be something to do with the excessive weather we're having. So for now, I'm going to put it back on my TBR and try again another time. 

Midnight In Everwood - M.A.Kuzniar

Midnight In Everwood was an impulse purchase based on the cover because LOOK AT IT! It's stunning. Of course, I'd taken a look over the synopsis and the idea of a retelling of the infamous Nutcracker story was definitely too delicious to pass up.  It was relatively new out when I first purchased it but I left it until December before picking it up - purposely because I knew it would give me all of the Christmas feels.  I don't think I've been alone in this - I've noticed a few people post up about reading Midnight in Everwood this month and we've all been saying the same thing... it isn't the easiest book to read.  The first half dragged for me, it was relatively slow paced at first and had I not had the temptation of The Nutcracker retelling in the back of my mind, I probably would have DNF'd it.  But I persevered and the second half of the book really ramped up. I think it took about 2/3 days to get to the second half but once I was there, I couldn...